lørdag den 2. februar 2008

I survived MEEP....

My 90 days in Hell are over. I did my exam yesterday.

The concept of the exam was simple:
First I had to do a Presentation about the education, about my experiences, mistakes made along the way, Pro´s, Con´s etc.
After doing this presentation, I was to answer questions about Oracle by the audience.
The whole session took about 2 hours.

My Presentations contained the following points:

1. Introduction - MEEP, Inspired by the Royal Danish Special Forces training method.
2. Introduction of Me and my Background

3. My experiences with Miracle and My Colleagues
4. The course of MEEP, The Books, The Plan etc.

5. The Learning Method, How I learned the Stuff, Mistakes made along the way etc.
6. MEEP v.2.0 - The next batch (In Progress)
7. Questions

The Questions, of course, were the most nerve-wracking part of the Session.
And I was, I must admit, on thin ice during some of the questions. This was primarily due to my frayed nerves, since I was able to answer many of the same questions the day before, where I went through the Oracle Concepts Guide with my Mentor, Lenn Mikkelsen.

Lenn asked me questions about all the topics, and even though I could´nt answer all of them, he told me that my Knowledge Level was good enough to do the Exam. Lenn helped me a lot through the last few days. Thank You, Lenn.
For those of you who don´t know Lenn, I can tell you that he has over twenty years of experience and is extremely skilled.

Anyway, I got through the questions and then it was jugdement time. Every person in the Audience was asked if they thought I passed or not and they had to substantiate their statement. All of them gave me the thumps up, and Mogens said: 'Welcome To Miracle'.

So what now? I will now start working in a more 'normal' fashion, by taking my place in the Miracle group, that do Online Checks.
I´m already responsible for 3 Customers. That said, I am still going to read books and develop my skills. For example, I want to improve my SQL and possibly even learn some PL/SQL. A little further ahead, I would like to learn SQL Server too.

As for this blog, I´m turning it over to the new MEEP batch; Lars, Martin, Flemming and Morten. Good Luck to you Guys...
In fact, one of them has already started his own blog, meandmeep.blogspot.com. Check it out!

Jan

7 kommentarer:

Alberto Dell'Era sagde ...

Congratulation for surviving the MEEP and for joining Miracle - that is the best company in Oracle Space for the technology enthusiast :)

Jan Wigh, Miracle A/S sagde ...

Hi Alberto.
Thank you for the kind words. I also feel pretty good now that the dust has settled. And I am feeling very enthusiastic about working for Miracle. It´s a great Company, with great colleagues and Mogens is a great boss. :-)

CJ sagde ...

Jan, congratulations!

Did you get a red baret?

Carel-Jan

Moans Nogood sagde ...

Congratulations from me, too, Jan.

Man, you have a mountain (of books and documentation) in front of you :-)). But we think you've got what it takes. You're the first person we ever took in with no prior knowledge of databases.

It dawned on me that if it had been a "real" examination, you would have failed, since you couldn't remember even basic stuff.

But since Lenn had been with you the day before -and vouched for you at the examination - we all knew, that it was 'exam fever', not total lack of knowledge.

In real examination situations you don't have that luxury. So I think we'll keep that think going - to have an experienced Miracle tutor, (nobody expects the Danish inquisition) that knows what the MEEP'er can and cannot, so that it becomes a more fair overall picture.

Morten Egan - perhaps the most naturally gifted Oracle techie I ever met - said at the examination (or rather: The trial) that he had known less after three months of internship at Oracle than you did. That's pretty cool coming from him.

Welcome to Miracle :-)).

Mogens

EricGrancher sagde ...

Congratulation, you have passed the exam in front of so skilled persons!

eric

Tony sagde ...

Hi Jan,

congratulations on surviving the MEEP program!
If you still think its fun to do stuff wih Oracle after this, then you were the right person to do this!

now its up to me to get through our masters program :-)

regards, Tony van Esch

Susan sagde ...

Hej bror ...

Du skal ogsaa lige ha' en kommentar fra Aberdeen. F'me godt gaaet. Vi er stolte af dig.

Rgds. Sis