fredag den 26. oktober 2007

Day 4-5 in Miracle Extreme Education Programme

Book 1: 'Expert Oracle Database Architecture' by Tom Kyte.

The last two days, I´ve spent reading chapter 3-5. Under normal circumstances I should´nt have finished these chapters before monday, but since Michael Möller isn´t available on monday to go through the stuff with me, I decided to speed up a little bit and go through the stuff today with Michael.
The chapter about memory structures, especially the part regarding PGA and UGA, was a bit confusing. Well, actually it was very confusing. I hope that Michael can do his magic today and make me understand this better. :-)

I have seen all the comments on both this and on Mogens´ blog and I appreciate them very much.
I will try to get the time to update my profile, so you can all see a little bit about my background, but the short story is, that I have no experience, what so ever, in Oracle. I have been working with support and process optimization but not in regards to Oracle.

1 kommentar:

Peter Tran sagde ...

Hi Jan,

"...but the short story is, that I have no experience, what so ever, in Oracle. I have been working with support and process optimization but not in regards to Oracle."

Wow, then I wish you all the best of luck.

You're definitely in the right hands and starting off with the right book. I would also suggest getting a copy of Jonathan Lewis old book, Practical Oracle8i: Building Efficient Databases. Both books together helped me a lot.

Here is my tip. Don't read the material and hope that you'll just "get it". I find that actually doing the same examples as the books helps tremendously.

What would be even cooler is if Morgan gives you a problem similar to a drama show we have in the US called House and have you go through the process of solving it.

-Peter