tirsdag den 23. oktober 2007

Day 2 in Miracle Extreme Education Programme

Book 1: 'Expert Oracle Database Architecture' by Tom Kyte.

I got through the first chapter last night. The text was fairly easy to understand.
Mr. Kyte is very good at getting his points across, by implementing real life examples. I like that :-)

However, the SQL is very hard for me to understand, due to my lack of knowledge of this language. Especially I had dificulties on page 20, where he also uses PL/SQL, which is even harder for me to grasp.

We have had a very busy day at the office today, therefore I didn´t get a chance to talk to Mogens about my experiences, but I will tomorrow.

Since this is all very new to me, and since I´m the first one to try out this education, I find it very important to make sure that all the pro´s and con´s are debated with Mogens. Maybe the education plan is not perfect, maybe the books should come in a different order, maybe it should be '120 days in Hell' instead of 90 etc. etc. Time will tell...

Anyway, I have just finished chapter 2 (todays homework).
Luckily, chapter 2 is a very short one, more like an introduction to chapter 3 - 5. This gives me a little time to read up a little bit more on the SQL language, which is starting to make a little sense (at least the basic part of it).

By the way, thank you all for your comments!


2 kommentarer:

SydOracle sagde ...

Interesting to read this book first with SQL first. Does this mean you haven't had any study in relational databases ?
It would be good to know a bit more about your background. Maths ? Business ? Don't hurry though. I know you'll be busy.

Good luck. Looks like you're on a great team.

Alberto Dell'Era sagde ...

Knowing SQL is definitely the most important thing a professional has to know - I'd invest a huge amount of time in studying it if I were you.

Luckily, one of the nice side effects of the book you're reading is that it shows different variants of SQL (and techniques) in the examples - so that at the end you'll know a lot about SQL without even noticing (almost). There were a lot of examples also in the second section of the first edition (the one that it is going to be on the yet-to-be-published second tome of the second edition) - I'd suggest to take a peek on that section on the first edition (the one on the CD-ROM).