torsdag den 15. november 2007

Day 14 in Miracle Extreme Education Programme

Book 2: 'Mastering Oracle SQL and SQL*Plus' by Lex de Haan.

Finally the SQL is starting to make sense. I had some help running the script, installing the seven tables that Lex de Haan uses in this book. The seven Tables are the basis for all the exercises and examples in the book. After doing this, I have been running through the first 4 Chapters, doing all the examples.
And the nice thing is, that most of it makes sense so far. I have always been a better learner if I could mess with the stuff at the same time.

Not that I couldn´t do any of the examples in the Tom Kyte book. The big difference is, that in this book, I learn about the SQL that I put in, before I execute it. In the Tom Kyte book, you just put in a lot of code to proove a point in Oracle, but not going into details about what is the meaning of the SQL (which, of course, isn´t the objective with the Tom Kyte book either).

2 kommentarer:

Brett sagde ...

Great! I agree - knowing the basics of SQL and some PL/SQL definitely helps getting thru Tom's book. I have just begun Tom's book (currently in Chap 3) and was not having any frustration like you :-) My knowledge of SQL is equal to that taught in the Oracle course 1Z0-001 which is about the same as Lex's book.

I definitely think it's better to start such a program with some SQL basics before doing Tom's book.

MSSM sagde ...

You can find online SQL exercises and tutorials at SQL Exercises site.